Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Vinny Jett Interview for Broken Records Festival

What was the experience of playing the BRM concert like?
The BRM concert brought a new energy to the Staten Island music scene. A vision definitely came to life that night and the turnout out did our expectations. I truly enjoyed the company of Mac Lethal and some of the other talented acts including the BRC, Wordspit, and Freestyle Fam. It's something that BRM should do every year, or maybe even more often than that.

How do you feel about Broken Records Magazine, and why is a united Staten Island important?
Broken Records Magazine is impressive. They have a great range of coverage from the most underground artists to the most mainstream.

A united Staten Island is really important because it has been the opposite of that for so long. This place, along with the rest of NYC is like crabs in a bucket with everyone knocking each other down so the other can't get ahead. If we all lifted the talented artists up and supported each other, this place, especially Staten Island would become a powerful music scene packed with a rich history that includes the Wu Tang Clan. We'd be unstoppable, but until people start supporting their local talent more, we are going to have to market ourselves elsewhere in order to make some noise.

What would you like to see the festival grow to?
I would like the BRM festival to grow to something that people come from other states to attend. Something like Rock the Bells or Ozfest. I would also like to see it expand to other places, but ultimately stay grounded in Staten Island. It would also be awesome to see it in something like Staten Island Yankees stadium. That would be incredible!

What do you stand for as an artist?
As an artist, I stand for originality and quality. I don't want to sound like anyone else or do what anyone else is doing. I also aim to stay true to myself and my values in all of the records that I make. I am extremely hard on myself when it comes to recording and performing and I always strive to do my best. I also do not want to be categorized into a genre. I feel that the music I make is unique, and sometimes people don't get it, but that actually excites me because it shows that I'm creating the type of art that is in a league of its own.

What is hip-hop to you and why do you do it?
Hip-hop is so many things to me. It's one of the greatest art forms because of its potential. Between rappers telling vivid stories in their rhymes, and graffiti artists painting murals like 2pac's "Live by the Gun," it's a form of expression whose possibilities are endless. Producers sampling and creating amazing beats, and DJs spinning during parties that end up becoming some of our fondest memories. Hip-hop, every aspect of it matters to me. It's not just about rapping even though I love battling, freestyle, and song writing. It's history is also so interesting. It never died, and will live on in my heart from now until infinity.

How do you feel hip-hop is represented by today's artists?
I don't think hip-hop music is represented, but rather people are represented in hip-hop. We live in an instant gratification culture so many rapper's lyrics are full of tales of drug use, sex and partying and their motive is to get rich so they kind of play it safe in terms of content. That speaks for a majority of the mainstream. But then you have guys like Kendrick Lamar, and J.Cole who are taking more risks and bring a more creative and original edge to the artform. Kendrick's,  Section 80, and good kid m.A.A.d city are two of the most original and awesome albums I've heard since Get Rich or Die Trying. But I love it all man, from the strip club rappers like Juicy J, to the Christian rappers like Lecrae. However, Kendrick has impressed me the most out of the new artists.

Do you believe hip-hop is more cultural (way of life) or is it more fiction through music?
Hip-hop is a way of life.... At least for me it is. Some people dabble in hip-hop, while others live it out in all aspects of their life. I love hip-hop, and everytime I think I stop loving it, a new artist gives me a reason to begin loving it again.

Tell us about your new album Return of the Jett SINY?
Return of the Jett, SINY is a sequel to my first album that was released in 2007 (Words From the Sky). It takes place after I basically self destruct at the end of the first record. The SINY is an acronym for (Surviving in New York) and that's basically what I talk about on it. How I survived through a tough time in my life living in NYC when jobs are scarce, and people let you down everyday. I get a lot more personal than my first record and the production was mainly done by my good friend Tom Levoyer. It's a cohesive project and tells a story if you listen track by track. I think its better than my first, but I still think my first album was dope! The album also reflects my spiritual transformation as I became more entrenched in following Christ.

What is in the future for Vinny Jett as an artist?
The future for Vinny Jett is the top. And the top for me is to serve God, love people, and provide them with a quality product. I'm open to wherever that takes me. I want to be a blessing in people's lives and I want my music to touch their hearts and souls.


If you had to create the Avengers of rap, who's on your team in addition to yourself? Include one producer.
Avengers of rap. That's a great question. The leader would have to be 2pac and his right hand man would be Eminem. You need Jay-Z in there along with Dr. Dre. For a female, I'd say throw Lauryn Hill in there and maybe someone heavy with the lyrics like Big Pun for a Hulk-type figure.










Anything else to add?
Yeah, love God, love people and support good music. Peace!

Follow Jett on Twitter.com/VinnyJett


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments and feedback below. I'd love to hear your feedback whether positive or negative, and I always respond. Thanks for reading!