Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Anthony M interview for BRM Fest


What was the experience of playing the concert like?
Playing at the concert was a blast. There was such a positive vibe, and that's what it's all about. People there to appreciate the music. I've been performing for about 6 years and it was definitely one of the most positive experiences I can say I've had.

How do you feel about Broken Records Magazine, and why is united Staten Island music important?
Broken Records Magazine is fantastic. Any outlet that represents the voices of artists who might not otherwise have a voice is something I'm a fan of. Broken Records Magazine accomplishes all that in a well laid out package that actually keeps the reader engaged. Very well done. I can't stress enough the importance of uniting the artists on Staten Island.The problem is that artists on Staten Island hear a song by another artist they see as a threat to themselves and say "Fuck that guy. He's wack." It's the wrong attitude man. We need a united voice. I just see these guys as inspiration to get better. My attitude about the music is always positive, and it's paid off. I've collaborated with just about every hip hop artist worth mentioning on this Island, and pumped out some great projects. Its all about the love baby. That's why we do this because we love it, but artists get lost somewhere along the way.

What would you like to see the festival grow to?
I think with the right guidance and direction, this festival could grow into something huge. Something people look forward to on a yearly basis, and its a great thing. We need that now more than ever.

Have you ever thought of going under a different moniker when performing?
Oh man, I already go by so many different names haha. I was Tony KZ for a long time. Just KZ. MKZ. In the early days of my music career, I was trying to find myself. Until I did I sort of created this "character" that was my music persona. I think a lot of artists do that. I started this when I was 18. I didn't even know who I was as a person back then let alone as an artist!!! Once I settled into my sound, it kind of just fell into place. Anthony M is what I go by because I'm finally comfortable being me.

How do you plan on differentiating yourself from other singers, especially ones within the New York area?
I think it's all about finding inspiration and making a combination of sources influence you, but not define you. You need to push yourself out of your comfort zone a little to find your sound. You're gonna fuck up A LOT, but you're also going to find a lot of success. You take what works, drop what doesn't and over time you develop your own sound. I think that's what I've done. Over time that sound evolves with you. You've got to constantly be pushing to differentiate yourself. While all these other cats are trying so hard to sound like their favorite artist you need to try and sound like YOU. Hopefully one day they'll be telling a young singer "Hey, you know you sound a lot like Anthony M."

http://soundcloud.com/tonykz87
https://twitter.com/AnthonyMMusic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments and feedback below. I'd love to hear your feedback whether positive or negative, and I always respond. Thanks for reading!