Sunday, September 8, 2013

Tammy Trent 'Sunny Days' Interview

This is an interview I conducted with Tammy Trent for the Christian Post. It was broken into two parts which can be read here and here.

Christian pop recording artist Tammy Trent has been encouraging believers and non-believers with her God-inspired music since 1995, and with her latest release, Sunny Days, she continues that consistency.

Whether it be the testimony of overcoming tragedy in her life, authoring books, or her work with the Women of Faith Conference as a speaker and performer, Trent has not wavered on her purpose for the Lord.

Trent took time out of her busy schedule to chat with The Christian Post about her first album in five years, Sunny Days, along with her relationship with God and special moments from her life.

Christian Post: Tell us about Sunny Days and why you feel this album is the most close to who you are?

Tammy Trent: Well it's been five years since my last release (STRONGER) and I think I'm more excited about this album than any other album in my career. I ... [co-wrote] 8 of the 10 songs and oversaw all the production, mixing and mastering. When you're that involved with every step along the way, and you're purposefully thinking about your audience with each word you write and sing, the end result is always something that is a clear reflection of who you are and what God has called you to accomplish through His work.

I ... hope that these songs will now make a huge impact in the lives of those who lean in for a listen. I'm prayerful that they would feel the love of God breathing in their direction and straight into their circumstances, wherever they may be in life.

CP: What are the major differences between this album and your last, and how have you grown since then?

TT: On my last album I brought everything back into the studio with live musicians and a string orchestra. It definitely took on more of a straight ahead pop feel which I loved, yet I felt like I was missing those energetic fun tracks that I've always been known for and my audiences have come to love. In the past, my music has always been pop-driven, infused with dance elements for sure, and this new album won't disappoint any longtime fans or hopefully any new ones that discover it.

Sunny Days is a musical journey of my life as I continue to grow in my faith and encourage others along the way. It's full of energetic pop dance tunes balanced by some thoughtful worship ballads. But more importantly, it's my testimony that though grief may come for a night, in Christ the morning always arrives. And when it comes, we can dance, sing and worship.

CP: How has the reaction to Sunny Days been so far, and what's the next move concerning the album?

TT: It's been heartwarming for me to see so many people responding to the songs and I love how all the songs minister in different ways. That's the payoff for me, not in the sales, although that's obviously an important factor too, but it's in the responses of people and how they're being ministered to through the music.

My next move is continuing to hear the voice of God so that when He calls, I'll be ready to go … whatever that may be! I'm prayerful that through this new album will come a music video, favor at radio stations across the country, and that God will continue opening doors for many women's events as that is truly my heart.

CP: Are there different feelings of satisfaction in completing a book versus an album? Which do you feel is harder?

TT: It honestly feels the same for me. It's that feeling of conquering something. Finishing something that you started that began with a dream and a vision. Although I think writing a book is much harder for me because it doesn't come as natural to me as writing music. But I love pouring myself into both, especially if I see that it will serve a greater purpose in the end and offer life and hope to someone who is desperate for answers.

CP: As a female singer, how do you feel about being a wholesome example to young ladies who's only image of beauty comes from what they see on television?

TT: Well being a tomboy my whole life I've never struggled with wanting to wear the shortest skirt or the lowest cut shirt or the highest heels that I can't even walk in! [laughs] So you'll never see me in that stuff. But I love fashion, I love dressing up and going out with my girlfriends and I work hard to stay healthy and fit. I don't mind at all being a wholesome alternative to other options that might be out there trying to capture their attention. Modest is hottest is my opinion!

CP: As an individual who has undergone tragedy, what would you say to someone who is on their last leg of hope and looking for answers?

TT: The first thing that comes to mind would be that we can't interrupt our numbness as God's absence in our lives. There is never a time when Jesus is not aware of every detail of our lives. We have to get to a place where we trust Him with every breath we take, because life is filled with failures, disappointments and pain. But the love of God and His commitment to us never changes…even when life does.

CP: What's the biggest "God moment" that you've ever experienced, personal or professional?

TT: It was definitely the moment when I was at the lowest point in my life. I was two days into the grieving process from the tragic death of my husband and I was in a hotel room in Jamaica all alone crying out to God in the bathroom. I was so numb and so broken and so lost and all I wanted was someone to hold me and tell me I was going to be ok. I missed the touch of my Mom especially. So I asked God, "If you can see "this girl," if you can hear "this girl" could you please just send someone to hold me. I'm not asking for a thousand angels or a hundred angels, but just one angel that would hold me. God if you're real could you do that for me." I opened my eyes and began to walk out of that bathroom and into my room. I could hear someone in the other room from the adjoining door. I made my way over to that opening in the doorway and saw a beautiful Jamaican woman standing there. I asked her if she could come into my room and make my bed. Then she looked at me with the sweetest of compassion and said, "I've been trying to get to you. I could hear you crying and I've been trying to get to you. Could I just come in and hold you?" Wow! Wow! Wow! I knew at that very moment in my life that yes Tammy, God is very real and You are never alone. He answered my cry and it was the biggest "God moment" of my life.

CP: What's your favorite Bible verse?

TT: My life verse is Jeremiah 29:11. I had it tattooed on my wrist on the 10th Anniversary of my loss. I wanted to be able to look at it every single day and be reminded that God's promise to me is a hope and a future! I can't begin to tell you how many countless times this tattoo has opened up the door for conversation about the things the Lord has brought me through and to. It's not just a promise to me, but to all of us and I love telling people about that...especially the ones who had no idea about Jeremiah 29:11 for their own lives.

CP: On your Facebook you are lifting some serious weights! How important is fitness to you, and is there anything that most people don't know about you that you'd be willing to share?

TT: Well thank you for noticing! I've always been involved in sports since I was a kid, so yes, staying fit is pretty important to me, and as you can see on my Facebook and Tweets, I'm pretty active and love the adventures of life. Having a good workout routine helps me balance out the rest of my life and feel good about myself along the way. I'm sure there's plenty that most people don't know about me, so how 'bout I give you a fun glimpse into what my normal day at home looks like.

Morning to night, I can't lie, I like to sleep in. That means I don't set my alarm before 9am, and another truth is that I love to stay in my sweat pants for as long as the day will let me around the house. I'm not a coffee drinker, so you'll never find a cup of that stuff in my hands. Well, maybe if it has lots of cream and sugar, then maybe it will go down. I love doing Body Pump at the gym 3 or 4 times a week. Summer time you'll find me out at my pool during the day hanging with my family and friends grilling out. Mowing the grass, trimming and pruning the trees and shrubs. Painting anything that needs it. Fixing the furnace or replacing a light fixture. In other words, there is always something fun to do around the house, but I love being outside. And in the Winter you'll find me laying by the fireplace or out in the front yard making snow angles for all the neighbors to see whenever it snows [laughs]. But you'll never find me in bed before 11pm.

Twitter (@tammytrent) 
Facebook  
Official Website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments and feedback below. I'd love to hear your feedback whether positive or negative, and I always respond. Thanks for reading!