Thursday, May 2, 2013

'Ocean Avenue' Yellowcard (Throwback Thursday)

Hey everyone, sorry for the little break, I kinda got married and stuff...so yeah, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Not only is this blog post number 250, but it is also Throwback Thursday! Today we will be taking a look back at Yellowcard's "Ocean Avenue."



To me "Ocean Avenue" represents some of the better times in my life. I was a sophomore in high school and this song came out as the school year was closing and served to be the perfect backdrop to a great year with friends. In fact, the whole Ocean Avenue is a perfect summer album, if that makes sense. If I drove back then I'd surely have my windows down bumping this record.

Unfortunately, like most of the bands I like and most of the bands on Throwback Thursday, their popularity has greatly diminished the last couple of years. Yellowcard never went away though, and are on their 6th record I believe. The two releases after Ocean Avenue; Lights and Sounds, and Paper Walls were great albums as well. They unlike other great bands of the early and mid 90s never really lost their consistency and as music writers but still managed to wane out...a shame.

Yellowcard had a great run from 2002-2005 where they were one of the most popular bands out. It helped that they were in the period of maximum emo/pop-punk glory with New Found Glory, Simple Plan, and Yellowcard. Oh yeah, and they had a violin player, awesome.

Other great tracks off of Ocean Avenue, are "Way Away," "Empty Apartment," and "Only One," but really everything on it is a gem.

Also, as far as I know, it's still cool to like Yellowcard and won't get the "joke" treatment like a Limp Bizkit or Creed. So play away, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments and feedback below. I'd love to hear your feedback whether positive or negative, and I always respond. Thanks for reading!